Well you have charged your devices, filled up the fuel and got your gear ready but here is a quick check that every biker needs to do before heading out for a ride.
Here is our Pre Ride Check : PRC
- Tires: Check the side walls, tyre air pressure and do the coin check for the thread depth. This is the most important step for any ride.
- Oil: Check the level every week or so and top it off if necessary.
- Lights and signals: This may sound weird but I can’t drive peacefully when if the lights on my bike are not working.
- Battery: Examine your battery. I do this monthly when the battery is less than a year old and bi monthly after the battery is a year old or so. We shall be doing a battery section in the coming days.
- Brakes: We strongly feel that in the Indian conditions the brake pads need to be cleaned to ensure maximum surface friction. A fluid check once a quarter is also a good thing!
- Chain: I always spray lube before a ride and check the tension. Always !
- Foot Pegs: I usually visually inspect the foot-pegs to see whether they nuts are in place and no physical damage is visible. ( I check my suspension bolts as well)
- Fuel: Well this one is obvious. I usually top up at my preferred fuel station a day before the ride.
- Clutch: Clutch wire check. An important step for a long ride!
- Steering: Check and tighten your handlebars and the steering nut. Make sure there is proper calibration and flow in the steerings.
- Clean: The headlight, helmet visors and stone or pebble check.
- Tools:- We like to carry our tyre inflator and puncture kit with me for short rides.
PS: – You could use some nail polish or marker pen to mark the nuts and bolts on the bike so that you know if they are loose when you do visual pre-check.